Wednesday, August 09, 2006

new Journal, new craft




When my daughter was born, I had to find away to get thru post-partum depression and grieving for my mother who died 3 weeks after said daughter's birth. So I started knitting on this thing called "the Nifty Knitter". Then I was bound and determined to really knit. I figured that out but found it tedious. So, the next thing I tried was crochet. This was an awesome medium for me.

I jumped into a million projects at once. Pictured in this post was a project that happened when I had too many granny squares sitting around.

Now I want to do much more freeform and keep rollin' with it.

ENJOY! (or don't, its up to you)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn, just wanted to say "hello" and tell you that your work is ... fun, fabulous, and fantastic. Sometimes when we go through great pain and suffering we give birth to wonderful things! You have been fortunate in that you have your baby and a new found skill. I am sure your Mother would be proud of both! Hug, Pat

Anonymous said...

I love your new freeform piece! I did the same thing with some extra granny squares. About the same time I learned to FF from Prudence Mapstone's book, I also took a creative knitting class (ala Valentina Devine) and also tried some granny squares for the first time.

I think, like you, I always seemed to use a certain combination of colors, so when I was inspired by one of Janice Rosema's shawls, and wanted to make one of my own, I pulled out my bag of FF scrumbles, my bag of knitted squares, and the granny squares, and the shawl came together so quickly because I had so much "material" to work with!

I admire the openess of some of the areas of your FF and I have to try that in my 2nd shawl, which is now in progress.

Kim Burk (from the FFCrochet group)

Anonymous said...

Your ff granny blanket is beautiful!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!
~Dee